SlimSkidZ
post Mar 29 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #21

Modifieds

Group: Members
Member No.: 371
Club: Black Rock
Number: Burnouts

As they are now Pete, the requirements for burnout cars at a national level are really aimed at the elite type of purpose built exhibition cars. The problem with smaller comps is that some of these would count out the average Joe that wants to go out and have a skid in what is normally a street car.

Still a couple that I would include to avoid a possible issue with insurance. One that comes to mind was the corolla station wagon at one of these comps with a commodore V6 in it. No bonnet or fan shroud, exhausts put straight up out of the engine bay, perished and frayed seatbelts and a "home" welded tailshaft without a loop that didn't even last a minute into their first skid.

Do you think something like that would be allowed onto the track at a dirt circuit meet?

I agree with the KISS theory and the fact that without both rules and insurance there would be no clubs at all, but somewhere in the mix should be a bit of common sense.

--------------------
Thats it...thats all!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bigkevlittleson
post Mar 29 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #22

Open Wheeler

Member No.: 143
Club: None

From my experience cars get checked for wheel weights on wheels,(very dangerous if they fly off), Battery secured in well. all wheel studs and nuts on rear wheels.no apparent leaks.etc what people do after they go through there checks you cant keep an eye on.When cars go through there checks as far as i know it was the same bloke doing it the whole day as it was a race day to. He had little help and it was stinking hot day to, And i also know the same bloke when he finished checking the cars went home and just abouit passed out under the shower. So basically it boils down to the same old thing many hands make light work but when theirs the same few doing it comp in comp out its gotta wear thin. As for the meth i doubt it will happen its not in the rules and i doubt with the way insurance companies work ever will be.Yeah i remember that car your talking about slim and from memory he was told he would be watched like a hawk in his first round and we all know how that ended lol.

+Quote Post
AB361
post Mar 30 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #23

Open Wheeler

Member No.: 117

yer

they should have fan shoulds etc fire extiners and some sort of fire wall between them and engine etc tail shaft strap and good seat belts.

just the saftey stuff

im all for the common sense bit too

pete

+Quote Post
8KDatto
post Mar 30 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #24

Modified

Member No.: 973
Number: BR3

im sure i read somewhere on this thread that methonal is "half the price of petrol".

I looked into this, it is by far alot more than most must think;

@ $420 for a 44 gallon drum = $2.10 per litre
Stoich for methonal is 6.4:1 (twice the amount compared to petrol)

not to mention the upgrades you would have to do to your whole fuel system to run it safely..

IMHO, not very good value for money....

Wanna go faster, strap on a turbo arg-nascar-burns-rubber-210x136-url.gif

--------------------
ONLY CHEAP WINE COMES IN 5Ltrs[size="7"][/size]

+Quote Post
dirtslinger
post Mar 30 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #25

Open Wheeler

Member No.: 267

QUOTE (8KDatto @ Mar 30 2011, 08:05 PM) *
im sure i read somewhere on this thread that methonal is "half the price of petrol".

not to mention the upgrades you would have to do to your whole fuel system to run it safely..

paid 220 for my last 44 of methanol for my last speedway car i would shop around lol

--------------------
Cheap stickers & Signs

OLD AGE & TREACHERY BEAT YOUTH & SKILL EVERY TIME

+Quote Post
Box
post Mar 30 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #26

Danny

Group: Forum Techie
Member No.: 1
Club: Port Pirie
Number: 806

Was talking to a mate the other week about methanol (he's just converted to it), can't remember how much it was (he gets his from a place in Wingfield) but he did say ya use twice as much meth as ya do fuel. He didn't notice much of a performance gain, but it definitely keeps the engine temps down, which I guess would make it worth every cent when ya thrashin ya motor.

--------------------
Spastik Plastic!

+Quote Post
FURBALL aka Crai...
post Mar 30 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #27

FURBALL aka Craig Langridge.

Member No.: 309
Club: Port Augusta
Number: TD8/PA8

$4.20 per litre for methanol?? is the drum gold plated?? We got a drum for a mates amcar yesterday,works out at .99c per litre. If car is set up right there is horse power to gain from running methanol.And as Danny stated helps reduce engine temp.As for methanol making it unfair because of the gains and not everyone can afford it ,ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS ??? How is someone racing against a metanol car any less advantaged than the the budget racer in his four banger dato,racing agianst an AWD,super charged, 350 Chev powered super sedan?? Someone said on here dirt circuit is goodbecause you spend as much or as little as you want,so if a racer to run a fuel that will increase his HP and help his motor run cleaner and cooler and is above all safer then he/she should be able to. As for insurance if they are involved in motor sport they would know its safer and should encourage it. These are my thoughts only,Cheers Craig A.K.A Furball

--------------------
PA8
MOHAWK MOTOR SPORT
REAL RACERS GETTIN' DIRTY

+Quote Post
fastracer47
post Mar 31 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #28

Modifieds

Member No.: 40

I wonder if the simplest solution would be to BAN BURNOUT COMPETITIONS full stop
Bet that gets every ones hackles up
fellas read whnat 008 said it makes sence well it does to me at least
and yes people will always bend the rules but isnt it up to club memebrs to let some one know if they think it hapesn before some wankler voids our insurance coverage!!!

What is dirt circuit all about
is it about dirt circuit racing
or is it about providing a venue for hard core burnout competions ??

--------------------
I like people who talk behind my back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It means they are so much closer to kissing my butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If your looking for a pet dog don't every buy a labrodor
HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY PEOPLE GO BLIND WHEN THEY GET ONE OF THOSE

+Quote Post
dirtslinger
post Mar 31 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #29

Open Wheeler

QUOTE (8KDatto @ Mar 30 2011, 08:05 PM) *

reply back from scotchers on there methanol for a 200 lt drum

gday dean thanks for your enquiry 200l drum methanol price $200.00
----- Original Message -----
To: sales@scotcherracefuels.com.au
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:30 PM
Subject: methanol price
so ya mates either misinformed or pulling ya leg

--------------------
Cheap stickers & Signs

+Quote Post
bigkevlittleson
post Mar 31 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #30

Open Wheeler

Realistically people your flogging a dead horse. Its not going to happen and not likely to unless you get a whole lot of backing and make a damn good case.
So it wont happen. Personally i love the smell of meth burning cars, but its not easly gettable in the country. For starters to get it freighted its dearer then normal as its classed as a dangerous good, also its easier to go to the servo fill up ya car and can out the pump with pulp.

+Quote Post
dirtslinger
post Apr 1 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #31

Open Wheeler

i wasent trying for or against kev my post was purely in reply too the other post about cost and how it was misleading thats why i contacted scotchers to get the true price of methanol .

cheers dean

--------------------
Cheap stickers & Signs

+Quote Post
vgcoupe
post Apr 1 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #32

Brad

Member No.: 783

when danny said that his mate didnt gain much prefomance when changing to methanol, why do top fuel drag cars use it if they dont gain much hp? is it so they dont over heat?

--------------------
The people who say they would rather push their Ford than drive a Holden usually do.

+Quote Post
bigkevlittleson
post Apr 1 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #33

Open Wheeler

QUOTE (dirtslinger @ Apr 1 2011, 09:55 AM) *
i wasent trying for or against kev my post was purely in reply too the other post about cost and how it was misleading thats why i contacted scotchers to get the true price of methanol .

cheers dean

nah nah fair enough Dean i just thought id point out the obvious

+Quote Post
racin69
post Apr 1 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #34

Ladies

Member No.: 690
Number: td 69

QUOTE (vgcoupe @ Apr 1 2011, 06:26 PM) *
when danny said that his mate didnt gain much prefomance when changing to methanol, why do top fuel drag cars use it if they dont gain much hp? is it so they dont over heat?

yes your car will run cooler it is safer and you can run higher compression.

--------------------

FASTER FASTER TILL THE THE THRILL OF SPEED OVERCOMES THE FEAR OF DEATH

+Quote Post
Box
post Apr 1 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #35

Danny

Group: Forum Techie
Member No.: 1
Club: Port Pirie
Number: 806

QUOTE (vgcoupe @ Apr 1 2011, 06:26 PM) *

He changed the fuel pump, reg, new lines and changed to a quickfuel meth carby....he changed only days b4 he trailered it to UBC so I don't think he would of had much time to tinker with it. He said there was some improvement down low, but not much up top. I'm sure he'll get more out of it tho.

Here's his vid from UBC. He made top 10, 8 of which were blown cars, he got 6th...not a bad effort!

--------------------
Spastik Plastic!

+Quote Post
ballsy
post Jul 9 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #36

Junior

Member No.: 898

I think it is something that should be looked at a club by club basis, if individual clubs want to allow it for burnouts it should be something considered. What people have to realise is times are changing, and dirt circuit isnt as popular as it used to be, and its each to their own with what form of motorsport they choose to partake in, and burnouts is the biggest growing motorsport in this day and age. Its got the basic princible as DC it can cost as little or as much as you want, but also anyone with their daily driver can enter to get their burnout fix instead of being harrassed by the cops, this is the exact reason why i have a dedicated skid car. people cant just enter their daily into a DC race. Would u prefer safer streets for your kids? these days more and more people are going to methanol for burnouts as its just as cheap as 98 oct these days (well roxby prices anyway) and if ya buy the parts to start with its not all that more expensive than a normal fuel set up but thats got nothing to do with what was orginally the topic. at the end of the day its a good money slinger for the clubs and if it wasnt for some of these burnout comps i think some of the clubs would be struggling to stay above board/ their facilitys up to scratch. If later down the track methanol is able to be run it would increase profits to the clubs, put money into the communities, as you then appeal to a bigger range of people, who come from all over the country and bring a lot more spectators to see the more high end performance cars. Who wouldnt want to see a 800+ hp blown methanol injected big block reving off its head tearing it up at their local track. with that it promotes your track, which informs other people of what your track and club has to offer and has the potential to bring more dirt circuit racers from other places, which brings more spectators to the dirt circuit meets as there are new cars racing and a bit more competition. which makes it more exciting to watch. people get bored of watching the same cars meet in meet out. thats the best part with burnouts its got such a broad range of people, cars, set ups etc. something to satisfy everyone.
These are just my thoughts take what you want from them, but maybe its time to look at going with the future instead of staying in the past.

+Quote Post
post Jul 11 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #37

Brad

Member No.: 111
Club: Arno Bay
Number: AB008

QUOTE (shell @ Jul 10 2011, 10:46 PM) *
yep have to agree with ya slim considering this thread is in the burnout section and the question is asking about burnouts not dirt circuit !!

I guess when this is a Dirt Circuit site, with some Clubs using Burnout pads as another source of income, using Dirt Circuit facilities/grounds. You are going to have to use Dirt Circuit rules. Think about moving forward, I mean, 'times are changing', methanol was used years ago and banned for safety and dollars reasons. So it would be a backward step to re-introduce it.
Or if it was possible, bring in another Club/Organisation to run the Burnout Comp. Bring in your own safety personal. Then thats another cost, and Clubs wont make as much money.

I cant see why Clubs are holding full day burnout comps with no Dirt Circuit racing. Why not have your own Association and make your own rules with your own insurance and then do what you want.
My opinion is that Burnout Comps should be a special event of a days racing.

+Quote Post
AB361
post Jul 11 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #38

Open Wheeler

as far as i see dirt circuit is very involved in burnout comps the guy is asking why they cant use methonal at dirt cirucit tracks im guessing for burnouts. isnt that to do with burnouts as well??? so im guessing the guy has come to the right part of the web site.
very simple i thought.
there is a lot of clubs having them using dirt circuit insurance corect me if im wrong

im with brad on the event

as far as the post going of the original post i just comment on the previous posts ballsy posted i commented.

pete

+Quote Post
SlimSkidZ
post Jul 11 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #39

Modifieds

Member No.: 371
Number: Burnouts

Well seeing as we've already got off the subject I'll add to it.

As I've said before, methanol is a safer fuel than ULP. Personally I can't see why Dirt Circuit in general should allow methanol into racing. The only people I can see that helping is those wanting to come over from a Super Sedan which is already set up to run methanol.

Methanol in an engine won't necessarily make a motor more power without other changes, but the reason most of the big guns in national burnout comps use methanol is simply because it helps substantially with engine temps. While it may be cheaper per litre you will use far more methanol than you would ULP so it wouldn't be any cheaper, it may end up costing you more.

As for running burnout comps with a dirt circuit meet it can become too hard on the volunteer's within the host club. Not only do they have to scrutineer all the dirt circuit cars they then have to change their way of thinking and start scrutineering burnout cars. All while trying to get their race cars ready (if they race themselves) and trying to enjoy a days racing. The Pirie comps I've entered (burnouts only) had us there by about 10:30 in the morning and we didn't pack up and get out of there until about 11pm.

We have thrown the idea around of a sub committee to run the burnout comps under the dirt circuit committee but not sure how that would work, and wanted to avoid the "us and them" happening.

All in all if everyone whether it's dirt circuit or burnouts does their best to support their clubs, whether it's helping in the canteen, on the gate, flaggies, commentators and race control just like they have been for years, then why change anything (like different fuels) that isn't a safety or insurance issue. if something ain't broke...why try to fix it?

--------------------
Thats it...thats all!

+Quote Post
AB361
post Jul 11 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #40

Open Wheeler

good points slim

pete

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 04:44 AM
Mocha v1.2 Skin © Bytech Web Design